How To Select Anti-Aging Skin Care Products
Shopping for an anti-aging skin care product can feel like hit-or-miss experience. With so many choices, it can be difficult to know which products to choose. These dermatologists’ tips can help you shop with confidence.
- Start with sunscreen and moisturizer: Dermatologists agree that sunscreen and moisturizer are the two most-effective anti-aging products you can buy. Using these every day can make a noticeable difference.
When shopping for sunscreen, select one that offers all of the following:
- Broad spectrum
- SPF 30 (or higher)
- Water resistance
An anti-aging moisturizer helps to minimize fine lines. It is so effective that moisturizer is the secret ingredient in many anti-aging products.
Using a moisturizer with sunscreen is fine. Just be sure that the product offers broad-spectrum coverage and an SPF of 30 or higher.
If you will spend time outdoors during the day, you should apply a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance. Be sure to reapply your sunscreen every two hours while outdoors.
- Treat your #1 aging-skin concern: Give sunscreen and moisturizer a few weeks to work. Then look at your skin. Is there still a sign of aging that bothers you?By focusing on one concern, such as wrinkles or dark spots, you’ll get the best results. Look for a product that targets your concern. There are two reasons for this:
- No product can treat all signs of skin aging.
- Using more than one anti-aging product in a few days or weeks can irritate the skin, making you look older.
- Buy a product formulated for your skin type: Your sunscreen, moisturizer, and other anti-aging skin care products will work best if they are formulated for your skin type. For example, if your skin tends to be oily, select a moisturizer made for oily skin. If you have sensitive skin, you want to see the words “sensitive skin” on the label.
This is important because no one product works for everyone.
- Read product labels and select a product that offers all of the following:
• Consumer hotline (to contact for questions)
- Have realistic expectations: Exaggerated promises, such as look 10 years younger overnight or quickly reduces all signs of aging, are too good to be true. It’s important to remember that anti-aging skin care products deliver modest results. You cannot get the results of a facelift from a cream.
TIP: “Clinically proven” means that the product was given to consumers to try. It does not mean the product underwent clinical trials and received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Select a product within your price range: It’s human nature to think that the more expensive the product, the better the results. Effective anti-aging products come in all price ranges.
Maximize the results you see
Once you’ve selected a product, you can maximize its effectiveness by following tips that dermatologists share with their patients.
V10 Plus Anti-Aging Series
Collagen Serum improves elasticity and diminishes wrinkles. Collagen is found in about 80% of dermis and keeps the elasticity of the skin.
Biocell Serum contains four active ingredients, the most powerful being Apple Stem Cell extract. This extract works at the DNA level to repair cell damage and stimulate the growth of collagen and Fibronectin. Stimulates skin cell repair, anti-wrinkle protection, prevention of melanin production, and lifts the skin.
Hyaluronic Acid is a naturally occurring molecule in our skin which decreases as we get older; it has a unique capability to attract and hold the moisture in our skin. Leaving our skin with a smoother and younger appearance.
How to use: after cleansing, place a small amount in the palm of your hand. Lightly rub hands together and apply to face and neck. If using the three-serum system, use one-third the amount for each pump.
Lightly rub hands together to mix the serums and apply to face and neck. Follow with V10 Plus Day Milk Gel, Deep Moist Gel or Night Gel. Recommended for day or night use.